Robert Triggs/Android Authority
We cowl a great deal of gadgets right here at Android Authoritystarting from finances wares to cutting-edge flagship gadgets different foldable telephones. However utilizing a cellphone each day as your major machine or every day driver? Now, that is one other matter totally for us.
We ballot the group yearly to seek out out in regards to the every day drivers we use, beginning in 2018 and stretching by to 2021. Over a 12 months has handed since our final ballot, so we figured that we would survey the group as soon as once more for the 2022 version of our Android Authority every day driver article.
21 Workforce AA members from all throughout the globe contributed to those outcomes, noting their every day driver, likes/dislikes, and giving a rating out of 10. So which telephones will we use on the group? Let’s get on with the outcomes!
We have posted outcomes by each particular person cellphone mannequin and by model. Try the charts beneath for a glance, however we’ll do a deep dive afterwards.
Samsung, Samsung in all places
Eric Zeman / Android Authority
Is it any shock to see Samsung is the preferred model utilized by Android Authority group members? The Korean producer accounted for a 3rd of all telephones utilized by the group. Apparently, this does not symbolize a change in comparison with final 12 months’s ballot, which additionally noticed Samsung accounting for a 3rd of all telephones. In any other case, the Galaxy S22 Extremely was the one Samsung cellphone to look greater than as soon as (with two folks utilizing it).
It is no shock to see Samsung is the preferred model amongst Workforce AA, reflecting the worldwide market as effectively.
Samsung house owners on this survey usually praised their cellphone’s processing energy, cameras, battery life, and/or show. There have been just a few complaints too, corresponding to efficiency and battery life. However the standout complaints got here from Producer Ryan McLeod and Copy Editor Paula Beaton, who had stability points with the Galaxy S21 different Galaxy S20 FE respectively.
Paula described frequent freezing, glitches, and the necessity to restart her cellphone. In the meantime, Ryan mentioned he skilled “just a few glitches the place I’ve to restart the cellphone. Not the top of the world, however not nice when it does freeze up.”
One pixel to rule all of them
Eric Zeman / Android Authority
What was the second hottest model, although? That may be Google for a second consecutive 12 months, accounting for 23.81% of all telephones. Apparently sufficient, all these pixels had been the Pixel 6 Professional. That is a serious change from final 12 months, which noticed the Pixel 4a, Pixel 4XL, and Pixel 5 all seem.
Pixel customers on the group usually praised the digital camera, design, pace of system updates, and show. Nevertheless, sign points, battery life, and overheating had been three complaints that steadily popped up in our survey. We lined the previous specifically earlier this 12 months, as Options Editor Rita El-Khoury mentioned the Pixel 6 Professional’s Superior mobile and Wi-Fi connectivity.
The sign woes had been echoed by Opinions Editor Ollie Cragg too:
I need to toggle Airplane Mode ~10 occasions a day. It is getting so unhealthy I am near abandoning a Pixel for the primary time in shut to 5 years. The battery life can be a bit meh and Tensor likes to get toasty.
Are you able to say ‘Apple Authority’?
Dhruv Bhutani / Android Authority
Rounding out the rostrum of hottest manufacturers utilized by Workforce AA was Apple (14.29% of all gadgets). Sure, imagine it or not, three group members use iPhones as their major gadgets. This represents a rise over final 12 months’s survey when two folks had been utilizing iPhones.
There wasn’t a particular iPhone that was hottest right here, with the iPhone 11 Professional Max, iPhone 12, and iPhone 13 Professional all showing. These group members largely praised Apple’s gadgets for the ecosystem and cameras. In saying so, we noticed complaints relating to battery life, heating, and Siri.
Apple’s rise on this 12 months’s survey comes on the expense of OnePlus, which noticed a major decline. It is also attention-grabbing to see that each of the OnePlus telephones that made it onto the record this 12 months had been older gadgets (OnePlus 8T and OnePlus 8).
A number of different picks stood out
David Imel / Android Authority
Spotify high, maps backside
Apart from the manufacturers talked about above, we additionally noticed three different notable manufacturers within the survey. These manufacturers had been LG, Vivo, and Xiaomi. Beginning with LG, Calvin Wankhede continues to be rocking the LG Wing. LG’s machine has a sq., secondary display that pops out from behind the principle display, and Calvin says that is precisely what he likes about it:
It swivels and divulges two shows each time I would like it, all with out the sturdiness considerations of a folding cellphone. It additionally does not have a notch, one thing I can not look previous on newer telephones.
Sadly, Calvin decried the burden (noting that it was solely barely lighter than the Z Fold 4) and 60Hz refresh charge.
Our resident search engine marketing specialist Luka Mlinar was the one particular person on the group to rock a Xiaomi machine as a every day driver, selecting the Xiaomi 12. He particularly praised the small kind issue, “fairly massive” battery, and quick charging capabilities.
It wasn’t all excellent for Luka, although:
MIUI continues to be a combined bag of wonderful options coupled with an limitless pit of frustration.
We will perceive this sense as numerous group members have discovered MIUI to be very hit or miss by way of polish. Each C Scott Brown and I found quite a few annoying bugs in some Poco telephones when reviewing them. Xiaomi launched a working group final 12 months so as to deal with the dearth of polish within the pores and skin, however there’s nonetheless some work to do.
Lastly, another machine that stands out right here is the Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 3. Sure, Senior Author John Callaham is the one one on the group rocking a foldable as his every day driver. He particularly praised the scale of the foldable display however lamented the show crease.
- 5 folks mentioned they would not advocate their telephones for buy. Rita and Ollie each mentioned they could not give the nod to the Pixel 6 Professional, seemingly as a result of connectivity woes. In the meantime, Andy Walker mentioned he could not advocate the 2019-era Huawei P30 Professional as a result of lack of updates and the machine’s age. Paula says she could not advocate shopping for the Galaxy S20 FE, seemingly as a result of variety of glitches she’s suffered from. Lastly, Curtis Joe famous that the OnePlus 8T wasn’t price a glance as a result of software program expertise.
- There’s nonetheless just one Huawei machine on the record, in step with final 12 months. However this time, as a substitute of my Mate 20 Professional being the only real Huawei handset, it is Andy’s Huawei P30 Professional. I am not relying on any Huawei gadgets showing in our 2023 survey.
- All gadgets that appeared on the record function OLED screens. It looks as if LCD screens are behind us for now, as even ~$250 telephones like Samsung’s cheaper A-series and a few Xiaomi gadgets are outfitted with OLED panels.
- Sadly, it is the top of an period as not one of the telephones right here supply a 3.5mm port. This can be a first for our survey.
- Alternatively, 13 gadgets on the record assist UWB wi-fi connectivity. These had been all Samsung, Google, and Apple handsets.
- The oldest cellphone on the record is certainly the Huawei P30 Professional, launched in Could 2019. It is nonetheless on Android 10 and was the final main Huawei flagship with Google Cellular Providers.
- The common battery measurement is 4,452mAh, making for an enormous step up over final 12 months’s sub-4,000mAh common.
- 4 out of the 21 telephones on the record lack a excessive refresh charge display. These gadgets are the Huawei P30 Professional, iPhone 12, iPhone 11 Professional Max, and LG Wing.
- US and Korean producers accounted for ~71% of the telephones on the record, with the remaining made by Chinese language manufacturers.
Our group is a wide range of rumored or confirmed telephones for his or her subsequent improve, nevertheless it’s a tie for the preferred model. Seven group members mentioned they’d improve to a Samsung machine, particularly pointing to a foldable or the Galaxy S23 collection.
In the meantime, seven colleagues mentioned they’re contemplating a Pixel machine. 5 colleagues mentioned they’re wanting on the Pixel 7 Professionalone mentioned they’re both the Pixel 7 or Pixel 7 Professional, and one colleague is contemplating the rumored Pixel foldable.
A complete of 14 members are eyeing both a Samsung or Google machine as their subsequent cellphone.
There have been additionally just a few outlier picks on this regard. Govt Editor Kris Carlon has been utilizing the Huawei Mate XS 2 for just a few weeks, and he says he’d change to it as a every day driver if it had Google assist. Oppo additionally previewed the X 2021 rollable cellphone final 12 months, and John Callaham is hoping this machine will get a industrial launch.
Foldable telephones additionally accounted for seven gadgets on this class, up from two in final 12 months’s survey. This implies that foldables actually have labored out most of their kinks and have gotten enticing propositions for extra folks.
Two group members mentioned they weren’t trying to improve, and who can blame them? Individuals are holding on to telephones for longer and longer, and our writers are not any exception.