Google formally introduced its upcoming Pixel 6A telephone on Might eleventh, 2022, and shall be transport it new line of Pixel 7 telephones this coming autumn. Chances are you’ll be planning to improve as quickly as the brand new telephones are prepared, or you could be merely shifting out of your present Android telephone to a more moderen mannequin. Both means, you will need to have the ability to transfer your knowledge over with confidence.
Google makes it fairly easy to maneuver from one telephone to a different — as quickly as you begin up your new telephone, you’ll get step-by-step instructions on what to do. (Notice: you probably have a two-factor authentication or 2FA app corresponding to Google Authenticator in your telephone, your knowledge will not be robotically moved — you will need to take a number of additional steps.) In case your older telephone is misplaced or damaged, you can too set up your apps and knowledge to a brand new telephone from a Google One backup.
However in fact, that will not work until your previous telephone What backed up. We’ll go over how to do this first after which run down the other ways you’ll be able to transfer your stuff to your shiny new Android telephone.
The best way to again up your telephone
- Choose Settings > Google > Backup
- When you’ve by no means backed up your telephone earlier than, you will be invited to check in with Google One. (When you decline the invitation by tapping the Not now button, you will end up again within the earlier menu.)
- the backup display screen lets you understand how a lot storage you have got accessible and what’s been backed up already (notice that in case your images and movies are synced with Google Photographs, they are going to already be backed up, even when the remainder of your knowledge is not). You too can do an instantaneous backup. So if you are going to transfer your knowledge to a brand new telephone, go forward and faucet on Again up now. (It might be a good suggestion to test the place your telephone’s battery is and plug it in if you happen to’re working low.)
- When you’ve acquired a display screen lock set (and if not, why not?), put in your PIN. (For this, you will not be capable to use your fingerprint or face unlock.)
- At that time, your knowledge shall be backed up. the Backup display screen shall be grayed out in the course of the course of.
Transfer your knowledge
There are a number of methods you’ll be able to transfer knowledge to a brand new telephone. Assuming your new telephone shall be ranging from scratch (and if it is a used telephone and it is not ranging from scratch, it’s best to most likely wipe it first), you’ll be able to both transfer your knowledge out of your previous telephone or restore your knowledge from a backup (just like the one you simply did).
One other factor to recollect: due to the UI variations in numerous Android telephones, your course of might range barely. So with all that in thoughts…
- Flip in your telephone and faucet Get Began.
- If there isn’t a SIM already within the card, you will be requested to insert it or obtain an eSIM. (If for any motive you’ll be able to’t, you’ll be able to skip this step by tapping on Skip.)
- Join the telephone to a Wi-Fi community. (You too can arrange the telephone offline, however let’s assume a community.)
- After a couple of minutes, you will be advised that you could copy your apps and knowledge. Faucet Subsequent. (If you wish to begin from scratch, you’ll be able to choose Do not copy within the lower-left nook.)
- If you wish to copy your knowledge out of your previous system, flip it on and unlock it. Faucet Subsequent.
- The easiest way to maneuver your knowledge from one telephone to a different is by utilizing a USB cable. When you have one, choose Subsequent. (We’ll deal with what to do if you happen to do not in a second.)
With a charging cable
- The subsequent display screen will ask you to insert the cable into your previous system. Faucet Subsequent.
- Guess what? Now you join the opposite finish into your new system.
- If the telephone says it may’t make a connection, give it a couple of minutes earlier than you surrender; it could nonetheless work. At that time, you will be requested to test your different system, which must be asking whether or not you need to copy the information to your new telephone. Faucet copy.
- Chances are you’ll be requested to confirm your identification utilizing biometrics or a PIN.
- Sit again and chill out, or go do one thing else — this will take some time.
And not using a USB cable
- If you do not have a cable that matches each telephones, then if you find yourself requested whether or not you should utilize a cable, choose No cables? within the backside left nook of the display screen.
- When you selected No cables?, you could get a warning that you’re going to get your stuff quicker with a cable. Faucet Proceed.
- You’ll be advised that you could attempt to use your previous system to switch knowledge wirelessly. Faucet Subsequent.
- Go to your previous system and open the Google app. It’s doable that you just will not need to; you could get a pop-up that invitations you to arrange your new telephone. When you do, faucet Arrange.
- You will be requested to confirm that 4 shapes that can seem in your previous and new units are the identical. In the event that they match, faucet Subsequent in your previous system.
- Faucet copy in your previous system and confirm your identification. You will be reminded to maintain the units shut to one another.
- You will then get an opportunity to decide on what you need to copy from one telephone to the opposite and can get an estimation (in your new telephone) about how lengthy it’s going to take to switch (mine examine 58 minutes). Run down the guidelines, which can embody apps, images & movies, audio, SMS, name historical past and different settings. (Google Calendar, Contacts, Photographs, and Gmail shall be synced robotically.)
- When you scroll right down to the underside of the copy display screen and faucet on study extrayou may get a rundown of what will not be moved over, corresponding to downloads, ringtones, and apps that are not from the Google Play Retailer.
- Prepared? Faucet copy once more.
Transfer knowledge from a backup
If you do not have your previous telephone accessible however had been sensible sufficient to maintain it backed up, you’ll be able to copy all of your apps and knowledge from that backup.
- Following the identical beginning directions as earlier than, if you get to the display screen that is headed Use your previous systemfaucet Cannot use previous system? within the lower-left nook.
- You will be warned that you could be not be capable to get as a lot knowledge again with out your previous system. Shrug and faucet OK.
- Check in together with your Google account. When you had established two-step authentication in your account and do not have your previous telephone accessible, you could want to make use of one other methodology to confirm the account, corresponding to one of many backup codes you hopefully saved if you signed up for 2FA.
- Comply with Google’s Phrases of Service.
- Select which backup you need to restore your knowledge from. Chances are you’ll have to then enter your PIN from that system.
- You’ll be able to then select what to revive. As earlier than, images, movies, Gmail, Google Calendar and Google Drive shall be synced robotically; you’ll be able to then select if you wish to sync apps, contacts, SMS messages, and varied system settings. While you’re prepared, faucet Restore.
- Toggle varied Google providers on or off, corresponding to backup and site monitoring. Faucet Settle for.
- As soon as once more, you get to conform to Google’s Phrases of Service, and also you get to create a PIN.
- Arrange a biometric verification, in order for you.
- Activate Google Assistant in order for you. You additionally get to say whether or not you need to use Google Pay and whether or not you need an always-on show. Lastly, you are given the possibility so as to add different options, corresponding to one other e-mail account.
You must have entry to your telephone virtually instantly; nonetheless, it’s going to take some time earlier than all of your apps and different knowledge are downloaded and put in.